Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Winter Chores

I spent yesterday morning alternating between gathering rocks for the dry stream bed and trimming back perennials. Switching back and forth between two mundane task made it easier to keep plowing on.
I never would have believed how long it is taking to gather the rocks for the stream bed. I am trying to get a variation in size, focusing on fist sized and smaller, to give a natural look you can walk on with out twisting your ankles. I have a never ending supply of rocks, but getting them in the wheel barrow is a tedious business. I believe everyone will be impressed when they see it, or least pretend to be, or risk having their head cracked by one of the larger rocks. I have also found this out - in a relatively small space (within an acre), I have two very distinct types of limestone. I like the one I have less of.
Trimming was fun because I received a new set of Felco pruners for Christmas from my parents. They are great - very sleek and professional. I promise to take care of them, unlike every other piece of equipment I've ever owned for any use. These will be different, hide and watch.
Plant propagation news -
1) When I was trimming I noticed that two of my plant varieties, the Trailing Lantana and Beach Vitex, had put down roots along various parts of the their trailing stems. I devised and implemented an ingenious plan whereas I trimmed the main plants back to 3" or so (like normal) but when I came to a rooted stem, I left it in place and trimmed it back to 3" as well. In the spring, my rooted stems should function autonomously and I will then dig them up and plant them in a new location of my choosing. I am an evil genius.
2) I have collected a large number of seeds from my Lindheimer Sennas and I am conducting a scientific experiment with them. Albeit a very low level and basic experiment. Last year I collected seeds from the sennas, planted them and grew jack all. This year, I collected seeds and have divided them into four groups a) to be planted now b) the be planted after soaking in water for 24 hours c) to be planted in the spring d) to be planted in the spring after soaking in water for 24 hours. I am planting all four groups in my new raised bed, hopefully negating variables like soil, exposure and watering. By early this summer I will have found out how and when to plant Lindheimer Senna seeds for maximum plant production! (for me, this year, excluding any other variables I failed to consider).

No comments:

Post a Comment