Sunday, January 3, 2010

I've been busy, OK?

Long time without a post and not a single complaint from you, dear reader? You are very patient. I appreciate that.
A whirlwind update of the last 45 days -
The first frost has come and gone - about November 30th. I harvested pumpkins, gourds, some green beans and lots of squash before they died. I never harvested any Lima beans, black eyed peas or cucumbers. Too late a start and not enough fertilizer, I think.
I still have most of my beets, although every now and then I pull one and they are nowhere near ready. I believe I should have thinned them more aggressively. The Detroit red seemed really susceptible to frost - I lost most of them - while the cylindra and yellow are still going strong. Shouldn't something named Detroit be cold tolerant? They are further north in the bed than the other two, maybe just less protected. Micro-climates are very interesting to me.
My Chard froze back a bit but is coming on again. The fennel, parsley, dill, broccoli, rocket and cilantro are all doing well. I harvested the first bunch of carrots, they were good and easy. The next planting, parisian carrots, is coming on well. My garlic and shallots are doing well, too. On garlic - last spring a client gave some elephant garlic bulbs that I planted in my cottage garden beds. They promptly died, or so I thought, because now they are back. I am going to watch and see how they do with the deer and neglect - if they do well out there I'm not waisting valuable vegetable garden space on them again. On deer, they got in my new bed and pulled up my new winter savory, ate most of my yaupon and old blush rose, left some hoof prints and manure and then did not even leave a thank you. They did mow down some grass next to the bed that needed it, however.
Next up - some pictures. Time to trim back all my perennials, put out more drip irrigation and re-mulch. My dry stream bed nears completion and during an easy test rain this week, seemed very functional.

No comments:

Post a Comment