Tuesday, September 29, 2009

New bed in the cottage garden


I built it with the soil and compost left over from vegetable garden construction. And rocks. No shortage of rocks at our house.
So far I like the size, shape and placement of the bed. I should hope I would, since I designed and built it. But I find sometimes after I do something I immediately wish I hadn't or had yet and done it different. This a feeling not limited to the garden.
Not to say my new bed isn't causing problems. During the past weeks rains I've learned this - the drive needs to drain somewhere when it rains. Preferably downhill. As in over my new bed placement. The rain pooled in the corner of the drive by the new bed and ran down my mulch path, taking all my new mulch with it. Gravity.
I am thinking I will make the path into a dry stream bed. That will re-establish drainage and make for some interest.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for following our humble Dry Stack Wall blog! As you said, we meant to post more often but get busy. We are down the highway from you near Cedar Valley. We have been wrestling with the garden here for 23 years and the best advocate and advice you will get
    is from John on KLBJ.....always entertaining, always encouraging. This is a nice use of your available stone there on your property. Your blog has made us chuckle and we so get it!!
    Keep up the hard work!
    Dry Stack

    ReplyDelete