Thursday, February 4, 2010

Bought Onions starts today

I had a cancellation at work due to the torrential rain and used the time to run by The Natural Gardener in Bee Caves. The Natural Gardener is a great local nursery that is all organic and very Austin - it is owned by the same fellow who does our local gardening radio show and the store has his old hippie vibe.
I couldn't find the vegetables at first and then I was sucked in by the display of perennials in 4 inch pots. Standing in front of the racks of plants, I blacked out and when I came to, I was holding a Gregg's Salvia, a Pink Skull Cap and a Purple Verbena. I couldn't figure out just how this all had transpired, so I thought it best just to buy them. This kind of cosmic intervention is frustrating to me because it undermines my well thought out garden plans.
Almost my favorite part of gardening, especially in my cottage gardening, is the planning. The design aspect is at least half the fun. I like to sit down at my desk with measurements and graph paper and draw out beds, go through all of my gardening texts and then fill my new beds with plants. I group the plants based on color, size , light and water requirements, my needs and wants for the area. I did this before I built my cottage beds and then followed my plan when planting. And then an episode like the one described above happened. Again. And again. I see a plant I know I like and I buy it. I see a plant I've read about but don't have and I buy it. Someone gives me transplants and I take them. I get home with my new plants and throw them in the ground wherever I can fit them. Within two years, my meticulously planned cottage garden looks like it was designed by Gertrude Jekyll's deranged twin brother, Mr. Hyde (Groan!) I digress somewhat, but I've done it again. I have no idea where I'm putting these plants.
I did buy onion starts. When I found the vegetable area and walked in, the aroma of onions announced that I had my timing right. I bought yellow granex (the same onion that becomes a sweet vidallia when grown in Vidallia, Georgia) and a southern belle red. They will go in the ground this weekend. It is going to be a busy weekend in the garden, I'll have a big update ready next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment