Monday, October 18, 2010

It is October and I still hate armadillos

I made a mistake in a previous post and stated that by October I would stop hating armadillos. I lied. I have no idea why I randomly picked October as the month that my mood towards those lilly-livered, over sized rats with shells (and leprosy, mind you) would shift away from loathing towards benevolence. I guess I thought it would rain more and they would leave me and my garden well enough alone. What an idiot I am. My mulch paths are destroyed anew every night. My front porch is covered with dirt and mulch from the rooting. And, this is the worst, those wallets, belts and boots to be still get in the bed the rock wall was built around! The pre-historic leftovers that they are, they climb under the gate (fixed that - put in a big flagstone), through the wood pile (re-arranged, leaving no holes) and last night I have no idea how they got in.
I decided to put out a trap. It is not my first experience with trapping armadillos. Two years ago, my new cottage garden beds were being destroyed by the vermin and they would root up my newly planted perennials every night. I bought a have-a-heart trap (not that I have much of one for those armour plated flea bags) and bated it with fruit. On morning number two of trapping, I went out to run and there was no armadillo and when I returned in 45 minutes, voila - victory! It was so easy. My plan was to take him down to the creek and let him out. I was so proud of myself, I took some pictures to prove my prowess and mastery of nature and went in to have some breakfast while waiting for the sun to come up. Whilst I was enjoying my oatmeal, Army (yes, I named him) was breaking free, like a little Steve McQueen but more successfully and without a motorcycle. He just kept butting the trap door and sides until it popped up and he was gone.
So, I re-bated the trap again the next night. And again I had some measure of success. This time my trap was full first thing in the morning, but alas, full of a skunk. This presented a bit of an obvious problem. Luckily I have on my vehicle a plastic overall suit and shoulder length plastic gloves (don't ask). I donned my protective gear and started to open the back door of the trap. I had all of the pins removed without being sprayed and had the door 50% open when my new friend lost his cool. The smell of a dead skunk on the road does not do justice to the eye watering, nose incinerating blast of poison air a skunk can deliver at close range. It is a very effective defense mechanism. I wanted very badly to not be there, to not be bothering that skunk. I finished opening the door and, stripping and gagging as I ran, went through the back door to a shower with tomato sauce. Which works neither as a skunk smell remover nor as a lathering agent very well. I stunk for days, the front the house smelled for weeks and I left the armadillos alone.
As you can see, I am very angry at my current batch of armadillos, that I am willing to risk a skunk spraying in order to rid myself of them. I am baiting the trap with grub worms I dig up, which should work seeing as they are what the little beast are after in my garden soil. I hope skunks do not like grub worms as much as old grapes. So far, I've had no luck, good or bad. Just an empty trap and decomposing grubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment